WHO is here:
- Rowin Andruscavage
The man behind the curtain.
- Sofia Marshak
- Warren Andruscavage
- Thaisa Andruscavage
And then there were two
WHAT I am:
Photos of my various incarnations:
(Click headings below to expand)
HERE be friends:
- The kids' multiseat
minecraft box, with a Quad-core 3.2Ghz Athlon and dual
560Ti GPUs cobbled together from craigslist.
- Win7 gaming rig. 3.2Ghz Athlon X4 with some 6 GB of
RAM and a Geforce 560Ti.
- Sofia's Win8 Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 desktop replacement
laptop. The Intel 7260 bt/wifi card is miserable and
causes no end of connectivity problems, even with several
There were also lots of problems with the hybrid Intel
HD4600 / NVidia Geforce GT 745M GPUs until enough drivers
were finally updated to finally keep the Intel GPU from
dorking up the works. I don't think she's ever going to
let me choose a computer for her again, and I'm certainly
going to try harder to avoid everything Intel.
- My old skin from before I was transplanted into a
little ION shoebox. Dual core 2.2Ghz Athlon II 64 and a
- Mom's old Dell Inspiron 1150 entertains the kids these
days. Upgraded to a top-of-the-line 2.6Ghz P4 with 1.5GB
of DDR RAM. Unfortunately, its GPU is not upgradeable, so
it's stuck with non-OpenGL-capable embedded intel
graphics. Which is a good way to make sure the kids only
use it to do work.
- Cheap Win8 HP Stream 7 tablet running Sofia's small
Steam library. Mostly just use it for Chrome and
- Sofia's little EeePC 901 20GB which had run eeebuntu 3, thenFuduntu, and now just runs
a recent Linux Mint LiveUSB distro. It's connected to the
kids' Casio digital piano so we can record / playback USB
MIDI with Rosegarden
- Viewsonic 10" G-Tablet running VeGaN-Tab. Also
played with TeamDRH ("Dirty Reset Hole") on it for a
while, but went back to VeGaN-Tab for speed and stability
and better devices support. Mostly just use it to stream
- Not really sure what to do with this Raspberry Pi v.B
... maybe get some BSOD screensaver on it so I can troll
various monitors I find in public.
- Sofia's AMD-based Toshiba Satellite desktop replacement laptop
running Windows 8 x86.
- 2.2Ghz P4-M Dell Inspiron 8500, with a Geforce4 video
card too old to really do anything useful. Used to be my
gaming box back in the day... now the display is dead,
time to scavenge it for parts.
- Sofia's 700Mhz G3 iBook running MacOSX. Made a
half-decent Ken Burns effect screensaver box (except for
its limited color display). Had the highest resale value,
sold it to some kid for $60 in 2010.
- Nastja's old Sony Vaio desktop from her college days.
I managed to scavenge a bit more SDR RAM for it as well as
a 1.6Ghz P4, but its silly SiS chipset had some
incompatibility with nVidia cards. I did stick an ancient
ATi Rage 7500 All-in-Wonder in it before unloading it at a
- Dual 2.2Ghz Athlon XP-M (unlocked to work in SMP on a
Tyan Tiger MPX motherboard), it was a decent machine with
a Geforce 6800GS. Sold it to a neighbor.
- P.G. County IBM notebook, running Windows XP
something. Alas, we hardly knew ye. Well, maybe enough to
break into the Administrator account so we could actually
install decent gradebook software.
- P.G. County Department of Education standard-issue
Pentium 166 Gateway laptop, running Win98
- 33Mhz 486 Toshiba laptop running Debian that got Rowin
through his last semester of college, and had taken to
riding around in the trunk of his car for no apparent
- PPro 200 Dell that lurked behind the sofa.
WHERE am I?
hairball.mine.nu has address 220.127.116.11
35/35Mbps Frontier FiOS
WHEN is it?
We'll always be happy to give you the time of
day... (that this page was last cached by varnish)
Sunday, 04-Dec-2016 16:22:49 PST
16:22:49 up 93 days, 9:23, 0 users, load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.22
Thank you for visiting Hairball's domain.